Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cumpleaños feliz, cumpleaños feliz…



Last Friday was the most sugar-free birthday I’ve ever celebrated. It was also the first birthday I’ve ever had in which no one has congratulated me on my successful birth.

Both facts are just as much proof of my pathetic, friend-less existence as they are of my extraordinary self-restraint.

You see, I was in Santiago for Anders’ wedding and decided it would be a bit crass to tell the guests at the pre-wedding bash that they should be celebrating my birthday as well. So instead I just pretended that the two folks from Dubai, the ladies in feathery hats from England, the Spanish girls, and the entire NYC and Brussels contingent were all there to see me and celebrate my special day.

It was easy to be this stoic given that there was a plate full of chocolate truffles next to me the entire night.

I also bought myself this early on in the day to keep me company: una mantecada.

Although it looks a bit like an edible party hat, mantecadas taste like sweetened, chalky powder and are made of milk, eggs, and flour. And, as the name would suggest, lots of butter. It’s the perfect treat for those of you who find a French pastry to be too much of a commitment, but who think sneaking into the pantry for a spoonful of sugar smacks of an eating disorder of some sort.

My mantecada and I explored Santiago’s old cathedral together, and held hands on the benches of Alameda park. I held out four hours before eating it, but when I did I made sure to not brush my teeth right afterwards. That way, each time I started to feel neglected on my birthday, I could twist my tongue back to my molars and be comforted by my new friend.

Categories: , , ,

6 comments:

k-fed said...

hey, no fair. i sent you a birthday e-mail on friday!

Moko said...

thank you for that. but you see, if i had counted the wishes received via e-mail and cell phone i never could have indulged in so much self-pity and so many chocolate truffles...or have had that little fling with the mantecada!

Anonymous said...

i´m soooo sorry, i don´t want to read this stuff again:"..proof of my pathetic, friend-less existence" i promise you congratulations at least next year.

Moko said...

oh don't worry about it. as you probably know, hyperbole and i have a very close relationship

bingo bingo said...

you have a birthday and YOU DON'T TELL US ABOUT IT

Moko said...

now, now, bingo. for the record, i had a very good birthday, even without telling people about it. and i'm very glad i got to spend it with all of you in santiago, even if it meant i had no b-day cake