Sunday, December 17, 2006

Japan's Convenience Store Melon Bread: the stuff dreams are made of


It’s four in the morning and I’m in Tokyo. Somewhere out there, a pimply teenage boy labors hard under a convenience store’s fluorescent lights, stocking one melon bread after another. He knows I’m on my way.

Last year, convenience store melon bread was my dessert of choice following any night of excessive sake consumption. It’s the perfect mix of fat and sweet, with barely any bread there to get in the way of the full sugar experience.

Unfortunately, as the name would suggest, there is some bread in melon bread, which is the only thing keeping it from being one of the best sweets in the entire world. But you can get around that if you simply pick off the top and bottom sugar coating. You’re left with a rather ugly sight: a clump of bald bread that’s not worth eating unless you’re drunk and don’t know what else to do with yourself.

If you ever make it to Japan and get to sample this fine delicacy, make sure to pick this up at the convenience store, and not as a patisserie/homemade version. The latter never has enough sugar in it and tends to taste a bit like Hawaiian bread.

4 comments:

BLOOD AMBITION 2006 said...

Are you in SoCal yet?

Moko said...

nope, in kansai international airport!

you'll have to wait a few hours until i arrive in california : )

bikoko said...

"It’s four in the morning and I’m in Tokyo"

and something is telling me that I've missed 4 hours of nice chat in a nice lounge with the Moko.

Damn it!

>Blood arm, good stuff, I hope you'll have a chance to tour in Japan!

Hanazuka said...

Hey so its not JUST bread? my friend said that she tried it and it was just melon flavoured bread ><