Monday, January 01, 2007

All the Sweets You Can Eat in 90 Minutes

This is a poster for the first all-you-can-eat dessert buffet I’ve ever seen—not just in Japan, but anywhere.

It figures that Japan would be the country to build the sweets castle of my dreams. After all, this is the country that invented warming, musical toilets, cellphones that serve as subway passes, and a city devoted to ice cream. Not to mention that all-you-can-eat (tabehodai) and all-you-can-drink (nomihodai) spots are popular in Tokyo, particularly among younger people whose interest is more in quantity than quality.

I’ve only done tabehodai once in Japan. It reminded me a bit of going to Sizzler…but with raw fish and meat instead of a salad bar.

As a child, Sizzler-type places excited me. But as an adult, they make me question how effective sneeze guards really are in protecting buffet food from germs.

Still, that’s not what kept me from dragging L. into this place. If you look closely at the picture, you’ll notice that all the desserts are “Western”—cakes, tiramisus, pies, etc.

But cheap tabehodai food is cheap. And cheap Western desserts in Japan are worse than cheap Western food in the West. Unfortunately, this place didn’t have the traditional (but expensive) Japanese desserts I love like the seasonal okashi and gelatine-y wobbly things.

…But I’m still regretting it a bit that I passed it by…

2 comments:

BLOOD AMBITION 2007 said...

Is there some rule for how many cheap Western desserts one can eat before she throws up? Like, supposedly it's impossibly to drink a gallon of milk in an hour without puking--I believe this to be true, having witnessed three persons failing to prove its falseness--and there's some limit to the amount of saltines a person can consume in a minute... I'm guessing there's a glass ceiling for twinkies and cupcakes, too.

Come on Google maven... inform me!

Moko said...

yes, the average number is 15 European-sized desserts and 7 American-sized ones.

If you don't like those stats maybe you should try Yahoo Answers :)