Tuesday, January 01, 2008

My New Job in 2008

The Informed Reader pointed me to my future job a few months ago via this article in the Chicago Tribune.


Check out slide number 2 and Dan Baker, site director at Mars. Doesn't he look young? Like my age? What could he possibly have done to get this fantastic job? Do you see how Mike, standing next to him, seems to be very scared that Dan won't like what Mike just cooked up on the old chocolate boiler?

I'm fascinated by this Dan Baker character. He doesn't seem that impressive--I mean, it took him eight years to complete his university degree at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow (which, incidentally, boasts student satisfaction levels above the (abysmally low) UK average. Dan may have been so satisfied he didn't feel like leaving...)

And sure, fine, maybe he acquired some other degrees during his decade at that university, but his LinkedIn page doesn't go into detail and I prefer to think he's no more qualified than I would be to run a chocolate factory. Still, on the off chance that he actually studied something relevant, I'd definitely be willing to follow in his footsteps, go to school, move to Glasgow, and not see the sun for eight years in order to get Dan's job. But I won't study chemistry. I won't have my chocolate be sullied by science. I'm sure Dan feels the same way.

3 comments:

barb michelen said...

look this is the "diet" i told you about you should really enter the site :) bye enter the site

Anonymous said...

I think I met Dan Baker once on a mountaintop in Germany. He was talking quite loudly, saying: "Dan Baker knows quality control!" and "They don't make M&Ms like they used to." We thought he was just dehydrated but I guess he's just passionate about his job.

Anonymous said...

WOW, its the first time I think i've ever been the subject of a blog... for the record I dont ever remember being delerious on top of a mountain in Germany talking about the quality of M&Ms... probably more to life? As for Glasgow , ts a beautiful city, it does rain alot but in the 90s when I went it had a great chemistry dept to complete undergradutae degree and PhD (hence 8yrs). I'm just a normal guy working for a great company that has given me the chance to do things I never even dreamed of when i grew up. I dont know your details moko but put you're mind to it you'll get your dream job too. As for the photo - Mike's a fantastic employee for us but its probably not his best pic. You're all more than welcome to come to the CHI factory for a visit and see the best chocolate in the world being made... Dan