Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Germans like Astronauts


When I was a kid Astronaut Ice Cream was like Esprit skirts and Guess jeans: only available to the lucky kids. My mom refused to shell out 8 bucks for a packet of fake ice cream--which in any case was only available at Imaginarium.

The end result was that I craved Astronaut Ice Cream. I'd have dreams about it, and at one point even considered a career in austronautism so that I could have it every day.

(By the time I finally did get to try it--during another student's 4th-grade science experiment presentation--I discovered that it's really like smooth chalk, and not really all that special.)

In any case, after all those years of deprivation, you can imagine how excited I was to find Astronaut Ice Cream at the Hamburg airport a few months ago.

Hamburg--who knew?!?

No comments: