Monday, October 13, 2008

Chili-less Chili Chocolate Muffins

My friend The Baron surprised me the other day in the mail with a muffin recipe that I just had to try. Normally I'm not a big fan of recipes because 1) you have to go buy things you don't already have in your pantry, 2) you have to measure things, and 3) nothing comes out right because you guestimate all your measurements and substitute ingredients you already have for the stuff the recipe's really asking for.

But this time I had to give it a try, in part because you don't refuse The Baron's suggestions.

And here's the result for her Chili Chocolate Muffins (the photo isn't stunning, but you get extra points if you can figure out what the gadget is in the background).


Speaking of recipes, I'll include it here but keep in mind I eyeballed all of this and any measurement I give is always fake--tho' accurate in terms of the proportions. (Separate note: of all the things I wish the U.S. had gotten sorted during its past century of glory and world dominance, why couldn't we have gotten the rest of the world to use the same sized measuring cups?)

But for the adventurous, here's a shot:
  • Melt a bar of super dark chocolate and a half stick of butter.
  • In a mixing bowl, combine a cup-ish of flour, half to 3/4 of that of light brown sugar, and two teaspoons of baking powder.
  • Make a crater in the center and pour into your Grand Canyon of Sweetness the following: two eggs, a cup of buttermilk (and if you don't have that, like I didn't, do a cup of milk plus a tbsp of lemon juice), tbsp of chili powder, and a tbsp of vanilla extract. Because you always have to have vanilla extract.
  • Mix it together with loving care and then bring in your melted chocobutter. Stir.
  • Once you've got a big pot of brown goo, dump in a bunch of chocolate chips.
  • Bake for 18-20 mins. at 175 C/350 F (or the 6 o'clock equivalent of your oven if, like me, your temperature thing is broken!).
And there you go.

The muffings get high marks from me and L., though I think the chili element is quite faint despite the fact that I doubled the amount called for in the recipe.

No comments: