Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Mango for Mangonuts


At the top of a massive mountain in Japan I thought these were the best things I had ever had in my entire life. Mango taffy things. They think they are melon flavored but they are wrong. They taste like mangos. 

Anyway, I was so in love with them that upon returning to our hotel in Shiretoko (in Hokkaido) I walked back and forth in front of the souvenir shops collecting free samples of these little bits of joy--supposedly a specialty of the region. (I swear that in Japan everything's a specialty of somewhere. I wonder which city is known for its toe socks...) Unfortunately I was too cheap to buy more than one package, and by the time I came to my senses, I was back in Tokyo--where the specialty isn't mango sweets but the Tokyo Banana. So this is my only souvenir of the best candy that ever lived. Sob.

No comments: