Thursday, February 26, 2009

Galette du roi...sort of

My friends, the exotica writer and his lovely wife, tried to school L. and I in the art of French pastry while they were here. Unfortunately, they hadn't prepared themselves for my oven, which has no temperature or settings gauge.

While you can never be sure what temperature Moko's oven is cooking at, or whether it's decided to braise, bake, steam, stuff, poach, or pepper your dish, you can still get a pretty good guess by a) throwing your hand into the heat now and then (tho' that's left me with a few scars), and b) by keeping your eye on the pastry itself.

Not wanting to suffer 3rd degree burns, my friends picked the latter option for their Galette du roi, a traditional Christmas/Epiphany marzipan pastry in which Frenchies hide something--a small figurine, a bean, a revolution, etc.--and the person who ends up with that slice is lucky/king for the day/has to pay for a round of drinks. Anyway, I was so busy whining about the lack of a toy in our version of the Galette du roi that I distracted my dear friends from paying closer attention to the oven, and we ended up with a crispy top---and totally liquid almond sugar mass in middle.


I think we did a pretty good job of hiding the ooze from the photo though...

5 comments:

Douceur du Soir said...

Actually, it's more "galette DES roiS", in plural: it's not a reference to the king of the day but to the 3 wise men, called kings in French...
In the South of France the cake is more like a round brioche with candied fruits on the top, as shown on the picture.

Moko said...

good point! (clearly I did not have a proper catho upbringing!!)

btw did you know your name is also the name of the best tea of all time---made by Lipton and (seemingly) only sold in France?

Moko said...

...and p.s., why do the French love candied fruits so much? personally I think they are creepy...

Douceur du Soir said...

Well, I think that in that particular case, it's a commercial reason: the price of the cake depends on its weight, and candied fruits are clearly heavier than brioche, so the more candied fruits on top of the cake, the more money the p√Ętisser can get...
As for my nickname, it's a very old story you can read here.

Douceur du Soir said...

Well, I think that in that particular case, it's a commercial reason: the price of the cake depends on its weight, and candied fruits are clearly heavier than brioche, so the more candied fruits on top of the cake, the more money the p√Ętisser can get...
As for my nickname, it's a very old story you can read here.